Pierre Karl Péladeau, President & CEO, Québecor Inc., Quebecor Media Inc. and Sun Media Corporation and Wade Oosterman, President, Bell Mobility, and Residential Services & Chief Brand Officer, Bell Canada will deliver keynote addresses as part of the Canada Country of Honour  tribute presented by MIPCOM, in partnership with the Canada Media Fund  (CMF) and Telefilm Canada . Organised by Reed MIDEM, MIPCOM will take place in Cannes, 8-11 October 2012.
Monday, October 8, Pierre Karl Péladeau will unveil his views on how to ensure the success of TV programming in the global digital market context. A year after spearheading the acquisition of Sun Media Corporation in 1998, he was named President and CEO of Quebecor . Tuesday October 9, Wade Oosterman will expand on Bell’s “Pick a screen and fill it with goodness” market position and the company’s commitment to deliver the best content across all screens – TV, laptop, smartphone and tablet. Wade Oosterman leads all of Bell’s wireless and residential service operations, encompassing the Bell Mobility, Bell TV, Bell internet, Bell Home Phone and Virgin Mobile Canada brands. Founded in 1880 and headquartered in Montréal, Bell Canada  is Canada’s largest communications company.
The Focus on Canada will run throughout MIPJunior  (Oct. 6-7) and MIPCOM  (Oct. 8-11) and will highlight Canadian excellence in international co-productions, as well as the strength and creativity of Canadian world-class scripted dramas, animation, documentaries, films, experimental and digital media. A number of new initiatives have been planned to provide Canadian professionals the opportunity to expand their business on an international level via specific events such as an international co-production matchmaking event giving the opportunity to Canadian producers to pitch their projects internationally.
“We’re delighted to welcome leading industry figures at MIPCOM and to highlight the creativity of Canadian content,” says Laurine Garaude, Director of the Television Division at Reed MIDEM. “This is an ideal opportunity for Canadians and their international counterparts to develop new business ties, and partnerships.”
Canadian content will be showcased with the eagerly-awaited “Fresh TV from Canada ” presentation of the hottest and most innovative content from Canada, hosted by The WIT’s CEO, Virginia Mouseler. Focused case studies will provide an in-depth look at some of the world’s most groundbreaking co-productions and a special case study designed to unveil how to launch new partnerships with Canada.
Canadian speakers include:
- Guillaume Aniorté, Co-CEO, Tribal Nova
- Jay Bennett, VP Digital/Creative Director, Shaftesbury/Smokebomb Entertainment
- Carole Bonneau, Vice-president, Programming, TELETOON Canada Inc
- Carolle Brabant, Executive Director, Telefilm Canada
- Catalina Briceno, Director of Industry and Market Trends, CMF
- Rob Carley, Creative Director, Cineflix Productions
- Vince Commisso, President and CEO, 9 Story Entertainment
- Valerie Creighton, President and CEO, CMF
- Malcolm Dunlop, EVP Television Programming and Operations, Rogers Broadcasting
- Deborah Drisdell, Director General, Accessibility and Digital Enterprises, National Film Board of Canada
- Alan Handel, President, Handel Productions
- Wiebke Hoefer, Senior Director of Sales, Cookie Jar Entertainment
- Nicola Merola, Producer and Head of International TV, Pixcom Productions
- John Weber, President, Take 5 Productions
- Irène Weibel, Vice President & Head of Nelvana Studio, Nelvana