The Royal Ontario Museum  (ROM) is pleased to announce the launch of ScopifyROM , an exciting new smartphone application that allows visitors to experience ROM objects in fun and interactive ways, including Animating a dodo, X-raying a mummy, and Skinning a dino. Developed by Toronto-based production company Kensington Communications , the studio behind Museum Secrets , ScopifyROM is a digital discovery platform that allows visitors to interact with select objects throughout ROM galleries in ways never before possible in any museum. By using their smartphone as a series of “scopes”, visitors can uncover exclusive ROM research and curatorial secrets.
Explore Museum Objects
ScopifyROM is the world’s first ScopifyTM smartphone app. It puts digital tools similar to those used by curators and scientists into your hands. Interact with selected museum objects in ways never before possible as you investigate, make discoveries and reveal the larger story each object represents: a story about life, history, or the planet. At the ROM, launch the app on your device and look for QR codes near objects or look in the app itself to find out which Museum objects are ready for you to put your Scopifying talents to work. Follow instructions on the screen to aim the scope at the QR code and unlock the discoveries for each object.
Uncover exclusive ROM curatorial secrets by using your smartphone as a series of scopes:
- Add skin to skeletons and see what they looked like when alive
- Decipher various codes and languages
- Travel high in the air to examine objects from a unique perspective
- Restore aged objects to their original state
- See an object where it was discovered.
Suitable for both adults and families, ScopifyROM offers over a dozen objects to investigate, spread over the ROM’s Ancient Cultures, Biodiversity, Fossils & Evolution, Earth & Space, and Canada collections.
Scopifying the ROM lets you unlock five games:
- Footprints: in this time-sensitive, Mix ‘n Match memory style game, users are required to match up footprints to animals as quickly as possible. In a unique ScopifyROM twist, a right or wrong answer leads to a pop-up with more information about the animal they have selected.
- Bat Hunt: an arcade-style game where players let their device come alive in order to fly and steer one of three bats, using echolocation to avoid obstacles and catch prey.
- Coin Conundrum: Match coins from ancient Greece – beat the clock as you travel through history.
- Dino Dig: Race against the clock to uncover bones and match them to the right dinosaur.
- Footprints: Match animals to their footprints and discover hidden “track facts” before time runs out.
The ScopifyROM app is available now for iOS  and Android  devices . The iOS app is rated 4+ and requires iOS 5.0 or later. Optimized for iPhone 5, ScopifyROM is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The Android version requires OS 2.3.3 and up – it is compatible with both Android smartphones and tablets.