Women in Communications and Technology  (WCT) today announced the names of 13 recipients of its prestigious Annual Awards, which recognize individual and corporate leadership in advancing women’s achievement in Canada’s rapidly growing digital economy. Formerly Canadian Women in Communications (CWC), the revamped and much expanded WCT organization now represents 2,500 women in professions and industries from traditional media and corporate communications to information management and technology.
“In a sector as large and diverse as the one our organization now represents, it’s fitting that we’re recognizing excellence in a much wider range of skill sets and categories,” said Janice McDonald, Chair of WCT’s Board of Directors. “We’re delighted—but not surprised—to find so many worthy recipients.”
The Awards will be presented at WCT’s much-celebrated Annual Awards Ceremony and Gala at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier in Ottawa on April 7, 2014.
“We’re very proud of the calibre of talent we’re recognizing this year,” said Joanne Stanley, Executive Director, WCT. “Each person and company we’re honouring plays a significant role in defining and inspiring positive change, advancement and opportunities for women in the sectors WCT represents.”
2014 Annual Awards:
- Woman of the Year: Wendy Freeman, President, CTV News (Bell Media).
- Company of the Year: COGECO Cable Canada
- Chair of Distinction: Barb Williams, SVP Content, Shaw Media.
- Trailblazer – Corporate: Mary Ann Turcke, EVP Field Operations, Bell Canada.
- Trailblazer – Media: Rosemary Thompson, Director of Communications & Public Affairs, and Corporate Secretary, National Arts Centre (Ottawa).
- Game Changer (Advocate of Women in a Non-Traditional Role): Nathalie Cook, VP of Sales & Partnerships, TSN (Bell Media).
- Diversity Champion: Sabrina Geremia, Managing Director, Integrated Solutions, Google Canada.
- Technology Innovator: Lynda Partner, CEO, Partners Inc.
- Mentor of the Year: Philip Porado, Executive Editor, Advisor Group, Rogers Publishing Ltd.
- Innovator: Shelagh Stoneham, SVP & GM, Brands & Marketing Communications, Rogers Communications Inc.
- WCT Leader: Dennie Theodore, Senior Manager, Strategic Planning & Partnerships for Transformation, TD Bank.
- Communicator – Corporate Communications: Jackie King, SVP & General Manager, Hill & Knowlton Canada.
- Communicator – Communications Excellence: Laura Peck, VP & Principal, McLoughlin Media, Media Training & Counsel.
To purchase your ticket to the WCT 2014 Annual Awards Gala or reserve a table for your organization, contact WCT via email  or by phone at 613-706-0607.