The True Heroines  web series has been nominated for 4 Leo Awards (May 31st, Fairmont Hotel Vancouver). Nominations are for Best Web Series and Best Performance by a Female in a Web Series for leading ladies/creators Paula Giroday, Jovanna Huguet and Fiona Vroom. The True Heroines are living up to their name, onscreen and off.
The True Heroines concept was created in 2009 by Jovanna, Paula. Fiona and choreographer Joel Sturrock. They joined forces with writer Nicholas Carella and director Michelle Ouellet of Sociable Films and shot their pilot in 2010. Since launching this highly popular retro-style web series in March, 2013, they have achieved popular and critical acclaim. The Heroines regularly perform live cabaret shows across Vancouver at events such as Crazy 8’s, FanExpo, Vancouver Web Festival, The ANZA Club, Guilt & Co. and The Electric Owl among others.
As well as their Leo nods, the latest awards and nominations are:
- Canadian Screen Awards (January, 2014): nominated for Best Original Program or Series produced for Digital Media
- LA Web Festival (March, 2014): won Best Original Series, Best Director and Best Cinematographer in a Dramedy.
- Vancouver Web Festival (May 2014): won Best Canadian Web Series
You can see The True Heroines in action on the series’ YouTube  channel. Notable talents who appear in the series include:
- Ali Liebert
- Gina Chiarelli
- Leah Gibson
- Graham Coffeng
- Zak Santiago
- Daniel Cudmore
- Brendan Penny
- Neil Grayson
The heroines are currently in talks and negotiations for Season 2. Meanwhile, other projects they have been working on include:
- Paula Giroday – How to Deal with an Axe Murderer & Citizen Jane
- Jovanna Huguet – Package Deal, For Better or For Worse, Viper
- Fiona Vroom – Tim Burton’s Big Eyes & Step Up 5