Telefilm Canada  shines the spotlight on Canadian talent at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival, introducing its first-ever live game show – ETALK presents The Great Canadian Talent Faceoff – and presenting another edition of its popular Talent to Watch series.
ETALK presents The Great Canadian Talent Faceoff – Saturday, September 6, 2014, 2:00–2:45 p.m.
Venue: Festival Street on King Street
Members of the film industry and the public are invited to participate in the first-ever live game show organized by Telefilm with the support of the Toronto International Film Festival and hosted by ETALK, Canada’s #1 entertainment show.
Two teams made up of local talent will compete in hilarious games to test their knowledge of Canadian cinema.
A group of TIFF Rising Stars:
- Sophie Desmarais
- Shannon Kook
- Julia Sarah Stone
- Katie Boland
will face off against a team of well-known talent:
- Zoie Palmer
- Vinay Virmani
- Ray Ablack
- Michael Seater
– and they’ll both need the audience’s help! For more about Festival Street, go to the event’s info page  online.
Telefilm Canada’s Talent to Watch series is a series of discussions, presentations and Q&As featuring talented creators and thought leaders as part of the Industry Conference program at the Toronto International Film Festival.
Venue: Glenn Gould Studio & Vimeo Industry Convergence Centre – Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), 250 Front Street West
Maps to the Talent: New Directions – Friday, September 5, 2014, 11:45 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
Whether it’s making the transition from shorts to features, the creative possibilities afforded by new technologies or the cultural, artistic and linguistic diversities of our landscape, a panel of young Canadian directors at various stages in their careers reflect on the art of storytelling and engaging audiences.
- Richard Crouse (film critic, CTV’s Canada AM)
- Mathieu Denis (Corbo)
- Andrea Dorfman (Heartbeat)
- Jeffrey St. Jules (Bang Bang Baby)
- Jacob Tierney (Preggoland)
Where Is My Audience? – Sunday, September 7, 2014, 11:45 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
A presentation followed by a Q&A on the latest trends and patterns in audience behaviour based on a recently published consumer analysis. What does this mean for the release of my film?
- Michael Gubbins (internationally renowned analyst, speaker and consultant, and chair of Ffilm Cymru Wales; he is also a member of the Europa Cinemas Experts Committee and the British Screen Advisory Council, sits on the Advisory Boards of Power to the Pixel and the Met Film School, and is the former editor of Screen International)
How Do I Engage with My Audience? – Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:45 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
A presentation followed by a Q&A on changing technology and the impact on how audiences view films. How does the producer adapt to the new realities of audience behaviour and distribution platforms that are transforming cinema?
- Michael Gubbins